Leadership facilitates high performance – and good leadership begins in HR. Your role is no longer "just" about recruiting and benefits. Today’s human resources department plays a critical role in its agency’s success, teaching team-building skills, coaching staff, resolving disputes and building consensus, helping create a risk-taking environment, offering effective communication techniques, fostering trust relationships and more.
This comprehensive leadership course was developed to provide mid- to senior-level public sector human resource professionals with a foundation for success. You can expect to be challenged. You can also expect to receive valuable tools and solutions to meet the ever-changing demands of the public sector.
By encouraging and implementing the 20 competencies of the IPMA-HR Competency Model, both you and your staff have the tools to move from managing "people issues” to managing "people-related business issues." While covering the 20 competencies, you can expect to learn about self-assessment, building teams and coaching staff, resolving disputes and reaching consensus, creating a risk-taking environment, effective communication techniques, building trust relationships, consensus and coalition-building skills and more.
- Explore the four major roles of human resources: HR expert, business partner, leader, and change agent.
- Take a deep dive into the 20 Competencies for success, which include self-assessment, team-building and coaching, dispute resolution, consensus-building, essential communication skills, building trust relationships and more.
- Practice new and effective communication techniques.
- Discover the changes happening within and around public sector HR.
- Network and share with peers from around the country.
- Position yourself to better serve your agency's leadership with enhanced skills.
- Improve your current organizational dynamics.
- Take an important step toward professional certification.
This course culminates in a multiple-choice exam used to assess your understanding of how the 20 competencies are directly tied to the success of HR professionals. A passing grade on the final exam takes you one step closer to becoming an IPMA-HR Senior Certified Professional (IPMA-SCP).
This course is not mandatory but it is helpful when preparing for the IPMA-SCP certification exam. Following the course, you will have the opportunity to pursue IPMA-HR professional certification by submitting an application for approval and successfully completing the online exam. A passing grade on the certification exam is one of the requirements for successful completion of the IPMA-SCP certification program.
Mid- to senior-level public sector HR professionals
The following course materials will be available once the course begins.
As part of your registration package, you will have
- The Developing Competencies for HR Success Manual and Self-Assessment - These will be found in the course materials. *(These documents are owned and copyrighted by IPMA-HR and are to be used ONLY for this course by the paying registrant.)
In addition, a pamphlet used in the course will be sent out to you via mail. Please make sure you provide your preferred mailing address when registering so that we can send the material out to you quickly.
- Risk-taking Inventory Guide (to be mailed)