Important: If you fall into one of the following categories: non-exempt under FLSA, a human resources consultant, currently are unemployed, or employed under a non-traditional HR title/role (outside of an HR department), please refer to the corresponding section listed below for further instructions (individual situations will be considered on a case-by-case basis). Please be advised, human resources must be the primary focus of your position.
Very Important: All applicants with a Non-Traditional HR Title/Role are reviewed by the IPMA-HR Certification Advisory Board. All IPMA-HR Certification Advisory Board decisions are final and there are no appeals.
Non-Traditional HR Title/Role:
The typical IPMA-SCP Certification applicant is a member of a Human Resources Department. If you maintain a non-traditional HR title/role (a position which does not typically include HR related duties or is not part of the HR Department/Team), you must demonstrate you fulfill an HR role in your agency.
The Human Resource (HR) department oversees employment-related functions, such as recruitment, payroll, compensation management, onboarding, performance management, and exit interviews. It ensures compliance with employment laws and regulations such as Equal Employment Opportunity Act, Whistleblower Protection Act, Labor Law, and Family and Medical Leave Act.
Human Resources departments can be organized:
Centralized operations usually have specialists for benefits, policies and hiring working in a human resources department managing all activities for the organization. Decentralized HR professionals usually oversee all aspects of human resource management -- Activities are more spread out in a decentralized system, as each departmental manager oversees its own HR processes while working closely with the human resource department.
Some positions have roles that perform HR related duties through a purely supervisory role (these such positions are not eligible for certification). Because you have a non-traditional HR title, please let us know:
- How is your job connected with the HR Department?
- Are you a member of the HR Department Team?
- Is your HR Department centralized or decentralized?
- What are your specific HR duties?
- What percentage of your job is HR?
To be eligible for the IPMA-SCP certification through a non-traditional HR title/role:
- Please be advised, human resources must be the primary focus of your position and this must be taken in account when calculating your years of HR experience.
- Your position must have a documented job connection with the Human Resource Department.
- This connection must be verified by your job description or your direct supervisor.
- You must indicate whether your HR Department is centralized or decentralized. If not decentralized please make sure to explain your connection thoroughly.
- You must document your specific HR roles/duties that are not purely supervisory (having or relating to the role of observing and directing an activity or a person) in nature.
Each applicant is unique and applies with their own education and employment experience. One approved applicant with the same work title is not a guarantee that someone else with the same work title will be approved. We must take in account the individual’s education/experience mix which may be different for each person.
Therefore, applicants who possess non-traditional roles/titles will be considered on a case by case basis.