La Mesa, CA,
$171,849 – $208,873
The City of La Mesa is seeking an experienced and strategic problem solver with strong people skills to join the City's executive team as the next Assistant City Manager.
This recruitment is open until the needs of the City are met and may close without prior notice, therefore interested applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. First review of applications will occur on Monday, February 6, 2023.
Future Scheduled Salary Increases:
4% increase effective July 1, 2023
3.5% increase effective July 1, 2024
Click the link below for the City's Management Benefits Summary
Ideal Candidate Profile:
- Has extensive experience in the administration and management of economic development activities of a local government agency or equivalent;
- Has hands-on experience negotiating, implementing and monitoring real estate developments, contracts, leases and agreements;
- Has experience working with departments tasked with addressing chronic homelessness for local government or equivalent;
- Has experience overseeing the development and management of all communications efforts for a local government agency or equivalent, including website management, social media, press releases, etc.;
- Has experience overseeing the implementation and management of an agency’s environmental sustainability program, specifically a Climate Action Plan (CAP);
- Has the personal and supervisory skills to lead a multi-generational workforce.
- At least seven (7) years of recent professional and management level experience as an Assistant City Manager, Department Director, or similar higher level management position in the field of municipal government administration.
- Strong management and leadership skills
- Exceptional verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to work effectively independently and collaboratively within a team environment
Class specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in the class. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
To perform highly responsible and complex professional administrative work while assisting the City Manager with the direction and coordination of the activities of all City departments; to provide leadership in policy formation; to promote effective and efficient operations throughout the organization by facilitating interdepartmental cooperation and sharing of resources; provide responsible staff assistance to the City Manager, City Council and department heads; and to serve as acting City Manager as required.
|The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all of the listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Assume full management responsibility for assigned functions, services, and activities of the City including overseeing assigned departments and divisions; provide direction to assigned staff on implementing City Council policy and direction and ensure City Council and City goals are carried out by departments.
- Review and analyze legislation for impact on the City.
- Establish, within City policy, appropriate service and staffing levels for assigned functions; monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; allocate resources accordingly.
- Negotiate, implement and monitor City real estate developments, contracts, leases and agreements.
- Assist with the administration and management of economic development activities of the City, including gathering information, preparing studies and reports, and performing complex financial analysis.
- Oversee and participate in the development and administration of the budget for assigned functional areas; approve the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; approve expenditures and implement budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
- Participate in the preparation, coordination, and presentation of the City's annual budget, capital improvement budget, and internal fiscal control measures; participate in the development and presentation of financial forecasts and historical information, including reviewing expenditures and revenues.
- Coordinate the City's Goals and Targets for Action Program; coordinate with the City Manager, City Council, and Department Directors to establish goals and targets for action; coordinate with Department Directors to establish work programs, determine project timelines, and review work progress on established goals and targets for actions; provide status reports to the City Manager and recommend remedial action.
- Develop and direct the City's Citizen Involvement Program to facilitate citizen communication; create and conduct community summits; oversee the citizen survey process; supervise the development of the City's web site and the televising of City Council meetings.
- Respond to requests for information from community residents, businesses, and other outside agencies; respond to and resolve difficult and sensitive citizen inquiries and complaints.
- Oversee the City's grant program; provide training to staff on securing grants; establish and implement programs to assist in securing additional grants for the City.
- Attend City Council meetings and meets with members of the Council as required.
- Serve as acting City Manager as required; oversee City operations in the City Manager's absence; provide assistance to the City Council; respond to requests for policy implementation direction; review draft City Council agendas, conduct agenda meetings, and sign staff reports.
- Perform related duties as required.
~ For a detailed description of responsibilities, please see the class specification on the City’s website www.cityoflamesa.us ~
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in public administration, business administration, or a field related to the operations of a municipal government department. A Master's degree in Public Administration or a related field is desirable.
Seven years of recent management experience as an Assistant City Manager, Department Director, or similar higher level management position in the field of municipal government administration.
License or Certificate:
Possession of an appropriate, valid driver's license.
How to Apply
|Interested applicants must submit an online application, cover letter, resume and a list of five (5) work-related references. This recruitment is open until the needs of the City are met and may close without prior notice, therefore interested applicants are encouraged to apply immediately. First review of applications will occur on Monday, February 6, 2023.
Candidates whose qualifications most closely meet the needs of the City will be invited to participate in the examination process for this position. The examination process may consist of any or all of the following components; appraisal interview, practical skills assessment, and writing assignment. Eligible candidates will be notified when testing dates have been established.
Tentative Interview Date: Thursday, February 23, 2023
NOTE: Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a pre-employment medical evaluation, and background investigation. The medical evaluation may include an alcohol/drug screen.