The primary purpose of this position is to support the Senior Human Resources Manager by evaluating and administering the Authority’s job classification and compensation programs for effectiveness and operational efficiency. Specifically, the incumbent is responsible for the development and implementation of job descriptions and job analysis, position classifications, and salary administration. Additionally, the incumbent coordinates employee performance reviews and performs salary and position updates in the HRIS system. The incumbent also provides training and guidance to the Human Resources Staff and HABC staff to ensure proper administration of classification and compensation program. All activities must support the Housing Authority of Baltimore City (“HABC” or “Authority”) mission, strategic goals, and objectives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The position duties and responsibilities listed below describe the general nature and scope of work. Other responsibilities, duties, and skills may be required and assigned, as needed.
- Administers job analysis process, assisting supervisors, managers, and division directors with completing the Position Description Questionnaire (PDQ); reviews information from a completed POQ for clarity and consults with divisions; performs desk studies as necessary; creates job descriptions in appropriate format and classifies positions based on a point factor evaluation.
- Administers the Agency’s compensation program, ensures that all salary changes are made in accordance with the Agency's policies, procedures, and union contracts.
- Compiles, analyzes, evaluates, and interprets both external and internal salary data from a variety of sources and investigates internal and external equity based on comparable duties.
- Conducts wage surveys for Agency positions; uses results to review and analyze HABC salary structure to ensure external competitiveness; recommends changes to salary structure.
- Conducts review of merit increase recommendations; conducts equity analysis and performs job evaluations; reviews promotion and salary increase recommendations; and provides input to management.
- Prepares and maintains job descriptions for each position in the organization; ensures descriptions accurately reflect the work being performed by incumbents.
- Confirms all compensation and position changes for new employees, promotions and transfers.
- Reviews and confirms compensation requests from hiring managers to offer a higher salary to a potential candidate this will include a review to ensure increased salary request commensurate with experience and credentials.
- Performs administrative work involved with compensation functions, including reviewing information on Employee Change Forms, offer letters, contracts and other documents to ensure changes are within the Agency guidelines and follows established procedures.
- Administers the performance management program; monitors probationary, semi-annual, and annual performance evaluation forms for all employees and distributes forms to all supervisors; assists with the documentation of work performance and ensures compliance with legal requirements; tracks performance evaluation scores into HRIS.
- Advises HABC supervisors and managers on the performance evaluation process and related compensation policies, programs, and procedures.
- Designs, evaluates, and recommends modifications to classification and compensation policies to ensure that programs are current, competitive, and effective.
- Supports HR Staff by providing advice and guidance in the administration and maintenance of compensation programs; maintaining employee compensation information in the HRIS system, and related compensation functions for merit, union and COLA increases; performs regular audits of HRIS compensation data and prepares related reports as requested by the Director of Human Resources or Senior Human Resources Manager.
- Prepares and analyzes comprehensive reports to include extraction of classification and compensation data from HRIS; skilled in researching complex issues and developing recommended actions related to classification and compensation.
- Submits monthly reports to Senior Human Resources Manager outlining the activity being performed in the classification and compensation area.
- Reviews agency’s classification and compensation practices and procedures for legal compliance, and may provide input and recommendations for process and/or policy changes.
- Keeps abreast of the new trends, developments, federal, state and City laws, and regulations related to the administration of classification and compensation and diligently enforces policies in a manner consistent with the laws.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field(s) and a minimum experience of 4 years in administering employee classification and compensation programs. PHR or SPHR certification preferred. An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience may be considered.
How to Apply