$81,203 – $129,917
ABOUT THIS POSITION
THIS IS A CRITICAL POSITION. During the current health crisis, any job interviews will be held by video or audio conference.
Please be aware that you may be required to undergo screening for symptoms of COVID-19 which may include answering questions regarding symptoms or having your body temperature read as part of this job. You may also be required to wear a face covering or use other personal protective equipment (PPE) related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The City of Phoenix, the fifth largest city in the U.S. with 14,000 employees, seeks an experienced benefits and wellness director to work with senior management to design, develop, and implement the City’s employee and retiree benefits program aligned with City objectives and legal requirements. The position manages a team of approximately twenty staff and six onsite vendor representatives. The successful candidate will balance benefits and wellness subject matter expertise with the ability to implement big-picture vision by building successful relationships and supporting stakeholder needs and values through a team-oriented approach. The Deputy Director, Benefits and Wellness serves as a member of the Human Resources Leadership Team and plays a lead role in interfacing with key stakeholders.
Benefits and Wellness Division programs include a comprehensive self-funded health plan, wellness program, post-employment benefits and self-administered long-term disability program.
- Working collaboratively with the Health Care Task Force and the Health Care Trust Board to develop and administer a comprehensive and cost-effective benefits program for 40,000 employees, retirees and enrolled dependents.
- Overseeing the eligibility and enrollment processes in PeopleSoft v 9.2 to include accurate and timely electronic files, annual Open Enrollment set up, and self-service.
- Managing twenty vendors, contracts, and procurement processes.
- Enhancing the employee wellness program to improve well-being and manage health risks.
Work involves consulting with City management, labor representatives, employees, retirees, and representatives of other jurisdictions regarding a variety of human resources actions, laws, programs, and services; and developing and implementing Citywide services, programs, policies, and procedures.
This recruitment and any interview process as a result of this recruitment may be used by multiple hiring managers and multiple departments throughout the City to fill any related current or future vacancies; other recruitments and appropriate eligible lists may also be considered.
The ideal candidate should be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization; excellent oral, written, presentation and listening skills will be essential. This person needs to be an innovative leader with the ability to solve problems, think strategically, identify alternative courses of action and provide recommendations. The ideal candidate should be efficient, effective, and responsive with a genuine interest in strategic and effective management of benefits and wellness programs. Analytical skills and the ability to effectively use data to make decisions and relay information are essential. The ideal candidate should be knowledgeable about and proficient with current leading-edge industry trends, standards and technology.
The ideal candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to build strong relationships across the organization. This person should be able to create a positive atmosphere for employees in the division and must adhere to the highest ethical and moral standards.
Up to $129,917 annually. Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications.
In addition, city contributes 8.5% of salary into 457/401(a) plan with no matching required.
$3,360/annual car allowance and $1,440/annual cell phone allowance are also provided.
A comprehensive Middle Manager benefits package is offered which includes:
Traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, HSA; dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; Medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement; paid time off includes 11.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, 12 sick days. For more details, visit: Middle Manager Benefits
QUALIFICATIONS – Desired qualifications include a minimum of:
- Five years of progressively responsible human resources experience that includes administration of policies, advanced analysis, program oversight, and two years of supervisory experience;
- Three years of professional benefits and wellness management experience in an employment setting to include administration of a self-funded health plan with at least 5,000 enrolled members;
- Three years of experience managing multiple health and wellness vendors, contracts, and procurement processes;
- A bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration, or a related field;
- Experience making presentations to executives, boards, task forces and councils;
- Strong research, analytical, business process and problem-solving skills with a customer focus;
- The ability and skill to manage multiple projects, maintain momentum, and meet deadlines on time and within budget.
- The City job description can be found here.
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
Only the highest qualified applicants will be posted to the eligible-for-hire list.
How to Apply
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at https://www.phoenix.gov/hr/current-jobs/ by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list.
During the online application process, please be advised that you will need to provide responses to the following open-ended questions (the system allows copying/pasting into the answer fields):
- Please provide the number and level (supervisory, professional, clerical, etc.) of employees you supervise.
- In approximately 100 words or fewer, describe your professional experience in an employer setting providing benefits administration. Please include the number of enrolled members and self-funded or fully insured status of programs.
- In approximately 100 words or fewer, describe your contract management experience (include the size in dollars, type of contracts managed, and your role).
Only online applications are accepted for this position. The results of the resume screening process will be sent to your primary email address.