$104,849 – $133,818
The City of Council Bluffs is looking for its next Director of Human Resources. Join an HR and leadership team who are working to fulfill the City’s mission statement: To continuously improve the quality of life and attractiveness of the City of Council Bluffs.
The Director of Human Resources is responsible for providing leadership in developing and executing Human Resources strategy in support of the strategic direction of the City, specifically in the areas of talent management; change management; organizational and performance management; training and development and compensation/benefits.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop a strong understanding and appreciation of the City’s structure, culture and objectives in order to develop and implement Human Resources programs and processes that are aligned with and sensitive to the organization’s mission, values and objectives.
- Manage the HR team and functions including; recruitment/retention, performance management, HRIS/payroll, risk management, compensation, benefits and labor relations.
- Responsible for development and management of Human Resources programs that enhance employee engagement, including performance management, training/development and wellness.
- Prepares an annual department budget. Works directly with the Director of Finance to assemble entire City budget for review by staff and City Council.
- Advises Mayor, City Council and other management staff members on employee and labor relations.
- Interprets the City’s Personnel Policies and Procedures and conducts policy research to make appropriate updates and recommendations as needed.
- Represents the City’s interests as a member of the team that negotiates labor contracts.
- Directs the presentation of the City's position in formal proceedings, such as fact finding, interest arbitration and grievance arbitration.
- Facilitate the use of Human Resources technology to enhance employee communication and manager productivity.
- Serves as a link between management and employees by handling questions, interpreting and administering contracts and helping resolve work-related problems.
- Monitors applicable laws, innovative ideas, and developments in Human Resource management and recommends changes in current operations, policies, and practices where applicable.
- Represents the Human Resources Department at meetings with boards and commissions.
- Maintain active involvement with targeted professional, civic and charitable organizations to develop and nurture the City’s i
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or related field preferred. Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 7 years of experience in the Human Resources and/or labor relations field, preferably in the public sector.
- At least 5 years of management experience preferred.
- SHRM or HRCI certification preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience is sufficient to successfully perform the essential job duties and responsibilities.
The City of Council Bluffs offers a competitive benefits package; the pay range for this positions is $104,849 - $133,818.
The City of Council Bluffs is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Knowledge of current trends and best practices in Human Resources.
- Advanced knowledge in Human Resources and related laws.
- Required to maintain the confidential nature of all employee and privileged information used or observed in the course of performing job duties.
- Ability to develop and build strong professional relationships.
- Skill in communicating clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
- Skill in identifying complex problems and reviewing related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Strong research and project management skills.
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with diverse groups including coworkers, clients and various business contacts at various levels ranging from front-line employees to senior executives.
- Ability to work effectively in a team setting.
- Must be a self-starter who can initiate projects and move them forward.
How to Apply
Please use this link to apply: https://rb.gy/gnlnv4