$7,030 – $8,436
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
The City of El Segundo is seeking a detail oriented, engaging and energetic Human Resources professional with a strong balance of technical and analytical skills. The Human Resources Analyst must possess excellent organizational and communication skills and thrive in a high-demand environment. This position is assigned to assist the department with benefits administration, disability and leaves management, classification and compensation, recruitment and selection, training, wellness and other general human resources functions.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Provides administrative and technical services for recruitment and selection activities including developing and formulating recruitment strategies, conducting job analysis, developing assessment and selection instruments, and test administration; provides computer formatting of job brochures and advertisements; serves as point of contact for information about employment and recruitments from applicants and the public; accepts, reviews, inputs and tracks job applications; prepares correspondence to applicants; coordinates and administers selection processes; assembles eligibility lists; monitors pre- and post-employment processes; serves as Citywide contact with temporary employment agencies for short-term clerical and labor assignments.
Conducts and/or assists in the conduct of position classification studies; compiles, analyzes and summarizes wage, salary and fringe benefit information; assists in the labor negotiation process.
Provides supportive and technical services for a variety of procedural functions including but not limited to performance evaluations, pay and benefits issues, and verification, submission and follow-up of workers' compensation claims and other leave matters; prepares disability retirement applications; tracks employee safety and OSHA training.
Provides administrative and technical support to the day-to-day operations of the department; assists in the preparation and administration of the department budget; responds to questions and resolves problems for City employees regarding salary, benefits, Personnel Rules and Regulations, City policies, Memoranda of Understanding and applicable workplace laws; confers with and advises staff in the resolution of personnel related problems and responds to program delivery questions, ensuring necessary follow-up occurs.
Recruits, hires, schedules, assigns, monitors and evaluates assigned department staff; provides for and/or conducts staff development; establishes work methods and standards; initiates corrective and/or disciplinary action in consultation with higher-level Human Resources staff and/or the Assistant City Manager.
QUALIFICATIONS: Requires a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Human Resource Management, Industrial Relations, Public Administration, Business Administration or a directly related field; and two years of increasingly responsible and technical human resource experience in areas such as recruitment and selection, classification/compensation, or health and safety, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND OTHER CHARACTERISTICS:
- Principles and practices of personnel administration.
- Principles and practices of office administration.
- Basic budgeting procedures and financial record keeping.
- Policies, practices, procedures and terminology of City operations.
- A variety of computer software, including word processing, database and spreadsheet applications.
- Principles and practices of effective supervision.
- Principles and practices of workload organization and priority setting.
- General knowledge of employment and labor laws.
- Performing professional personnel functions, including but not limited to recruitment and selection, pay and benefits administration, and leave management.
- Analyzing, evaluating and recommending improvements to department operations, programs and services.
- Supervising, motivating and evaluating support staff.
- Understanding and applying regulations, procedures and guidelines.
- Conducting research and preparing clear, concise and comprehensive reports.
- Composing letters and preparing a variety of reports, using appropriate format and computer software.
- Bookkeeping practices and procedures.
- Following oral and written instructions and procedures.
- Presenting ideas and concepts orally and in writing.
- Effectively managing multiple priorities in a high-volume work environment.
- Using public relations techniques in responding to inquiries and complaints.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other City employees and the public.
How to Apply
This is an open competitive recruitment process. Only online applications will be accepted for this recruitment. Applicants are encouraged to apply early as the first review of applications we be completed on Monday, May 3, 2021. Applications received after May 3, 2021, may not be considered and the recruitment may close following the initial review date. In order for the application to be considered complete, candidates are required to attach a resume to their online application. Applicants appearing best qualified based upon a review of the application materials, responses to supplemental questions and resume will be invited to participate in the testing process. Applicants may apply on www.governmentjobs.com/careers/elsegundo.
The selected candidate for this position must successfully pass a one-year probationary period in order to attain permanent status.