$108,000 – $125,000
The City of Takoma Park seeks a Human Resources Director to provide leadership to the Department and HR support to City operations. Reporting to the City Manager's Office, the incumbent will direct the City's human resources functions with past experience focusing efforts on performance management, union negotiations, compliance, training, budgeting, and risk management. The successful candidate will understand the intricacies of local government and be a creative and strategic thinker with the ability to lead programs to fruition.
- Ensures the effective operation of the department and services provided to staff and external customers; oversees the activities of department staff; ensures the accuracy of information in files and the payroll system.
- Ensures compliance with applicable federal, state and local laws, ordinances, and codes.
- Consults with and advises department heads, the City Manager and the Deputy City Manager regarding policies and best practices.
- Develops annual personnel budget for the City, including salaries, benefits and workers compensation; develops departmental budget recommendations and manages approved funds.
- Develops and implements policies and procedures; recommends additions or amendments to the City Code.
- Manages employee relations for all staff; coaches staff and management; provides recommendations to staff on how to address concerns, strategic planning, and performance issues, which can be complex, confidential, and/or sensitive.
- Develops, implements and manages the City’s risk management and loss control program.
- Oversees recruitment; spearheads executive recruitment.
- Makes decisions regarding the City’s benefits programs; administers Police Employees’ Retirement Plan.
- Develops, implements and conducts training programs.
- Develops and implements strategies for improved organizational effectiveness.
- Administers and updates the City’s compensation plan; determines best options in consultation with the City Manager and Deputy City Manager.
- Consults with labor counsel on personnel and collective bargaining matters as necessary; manages work of labor counsel and reviews invoices for accuracy; serves as management member for union negotiations.
- Coordinates organizational racial equity efforts and training.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a baccalaureate degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the subunits in the division/department in order to direct and coordinate work within the division/department, usually interpreted to require eight to ten years of related experience.
- Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with the completion of a master's degree in a course of study related to the occupational field.
- SHRM-SCP certification
How to Apply
For a full announcement and to apply:
Please visit our website: https://takomaparkmd.gov/government/human-resources/careers-with-takoma-park/