$90,000 – $107,000
Clayton, a thriving and fast growing community that maintains small town feel adjacent to urban benefits seeks Human Resources Director
The Town of Clayton, NC, operating under a Council-Manager form of government, seeks an innovative, visionary and transformational Human Resources (HR) Director. This will be someone who is passionate about HR and interested in working in and leading a small department as one of three to carry out the HR functions for the Town. The HR Director must be knowledgeable of HR best practices, adept at evaluating/updating existing HR programs/policies, and revising and/or developing systems. To achieve this, the HR Director must be an excellent communicator, collaborator, and strategic thinker who expects and delivers outstanding customer service to Town employees. The HR Director will be part of the executive team providing leadership and oversight to develop and carry out the goals of the organization. The position is open due to retirement.
The Community: The Historic Town of Clayton (population 21,450) was founded in 1869. It is located in Johnston County, just east of Raleigh, the state Capital, and is part of the Research Triangle region. Including access to the Neuse river and combined with the Town’s parks and greenways, the area offers a variety of recreational opportunities. The population has more than doubled in less than 20 years. Substantial growth means that the Town is moving from a small to medium-sized community. A thriving, five block Downtown district includes a municipal library, The Clayton Center, which hosts a variety of cultural and art activities, a variety of businesses, a thriving farmer’s market, festivals and activities throughout the year. The Town is home to corporate business entities such as Novo Nordisk, Caterpillar and Grifols as well as the County’s first brewery. The community is conveniently located within a few hours of the coast and the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. The Town of Clayton is a thriving and growing community that has all the conveniences of the larger surrounding cities and still maintains a small-town atmosphere. Think Clayton. Think Home.
About the Department and Position:
The HR Director reports to the Town Manager. The HR Director oversees a department budget of nearly $400K and supervises two HR staff to carry out the functions of recruitment, employee relations, compensation and benefits, safety, and retirement for 16 departments that are staffed by 229 FTE employees. The HR Director must work to ensure consistent application of HR policies and procedures across the Town.
Clayton has worked hard to become an employer of choice and to be competitive with larger adjacent employers. A newly implemented performance management system strives to make evaluation fair and more streamlined for employee and manager alike. The focus of the HR Director is to transform the Department into a strategic operation. Goals will include streamlining and enhancing processes, such as recruitment and selection, and enabling department directors to make more efficient and sound HR decisions. Ensuring accountability and consistency of policy decisions coming from HR is an important skill and expectation to be met. To learn more about the department, visit https://www.townofclaytonnc.org/Human-Resources/default.aspx
Key priorities, among others, for the next HR Director will be:
- evaluating the department head needs and desires in order to match to current HR staffing and practices and assessing what changes, if any, may be needed to HR staffing levels, systems, and programs;
- developing a comprehensive and engaging onboarding system, identifying best practices and ensuring the revision/ development of a system that is consistently applied.
- strategically evaluating the Town’s recruitment and selection policies, procedures and metrics to assess needs and create initiatives that ensure effective and timely recruitment, selection of employees;
- evaluating the recent Town culture survey and assessing organizational and departmental climates that are predictive of employee morale in order to proactively solve problems, develop strategies, and create programs for employee engagement and retention; and,
- evaluate benefit plans including retirement system to ensure they are competitive and retain staff in order to stem turnover in a low unemployment economy.
Qualifications: A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Public Administration, or related field, master's degree strongly preferred, and 5 years’ progressive experience in human resources, which must include time as a director, assistant director of HR, or division manager of HR functions. A generalist background in HR is preferred as well as HR certification (PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP/SCP, IPMA-CP/SCP) or eligibility and desire to sit for certification.
The Successful Candidate is:
- one who sees HR as a strategic function that impacts the employee experience from recruitment to retirement, moving beyond the day to day transactions of managing a large workforce;
- knowledgeable of employment laws, best practices and trends, with significant breadth in the HR competency areas of recruitment and selection, benefits, classification and compensation, health and safety, employee training and development, diversity initiatives and performance management;
- experienced in building recruitment and selection systems, onboarding and succession programs and employee relations;
- interested and willing to both work side by side with staff, mentor them and lead the department;
- confident and skilled in leading investigations related to employee relations matters and workplace incidents, then providing appropriate guidance to staff to resolve conflicts or disciplinary matters;
- well-experienced in applying technology to HR processes to enhance efficiency, transparency and effective decentralization;
- an excellent communicator who fosters teamwork through facilitative and collaborative approaches in leading cohesive and systematic change;
- a results-oriented leader who can effectively incorporate the input of multiple stakeholders to deliver collaborative solutions;
- a goal-oriented professional who thrives in a culture of high-performance expectations by ensuring metric-based evaluations of programs and timely, evidence-based changes as data warrant;
- a champion for employees regardless of department, tenure or position; and,
- an empowering leader who advocates for resources needed for delivering a cohesive HR vision throughout the Town while working with groups and individuals to carry out the vision.
Salary and Benefits: The hiring range is $90,000 - $107,000. Base salary and compensation are negotiable based on experience and qualifications. The Town offers a comprehensive benefits package. To learn more, please visit https://www.townofclaytonnc.org/Human-Resources/benefits.aspx.
How to Apply
To confidentially apply for this position, please go to http://www.developmentalassociates.com and click on the Human Resources Director - Clayton link on the left side of the home page. All applications must be submitted online through the Developmental Associates application portal, not the Town’s application site nor any third-party application portal. Please note that it is not sufficient to submit only a resume but you are encouraged to upload a resume and cover letter with your application. All inquiries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The application review begins September 29, 2019, and onsite skill evaluations and interviews will be held in Clayton, NC for selected finalists October 28-29, 2019. All candidates are encouraged to hold these dates should you be invited to participate. The Town of Clayton is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The recruitment and selection process is being managed by Developmental Associates, LLC.