$114,000 – $120,000
Human Resources Director – Rock County, Wisconsin (pop. 163,687). An area experiencing population growth and a surge in economic development and regeneration, Rock County is conveniently accessible to much of the upper Midwest. The county seat is Janesville, located 45 minutes southeast of Madison, and within an easy drive to Milwaukee, Chicago, and Rockford. The County’s land area covers more than 726 square miles and is a vibrant blend of old and new. The County offers urban amenities alongside rural charm and an economical high quality of life. The area has been recognized for its livability and family-friendliness.
The County is governed by a 29-member, non-partisan Board of Supervisors, and is organized under the County Administrator form of government. In addition, there are seven directly-elected constitutional officers that oversee departments also served by the Human Resources Department. The County Administrator oversees 17 departments, and a total budget of more than $200 million. The Human Resources Director reports directly to the County Administrator.
The County is seeking a collaborative and accessible human resources professional to manage a comprehensive range of personnel services for a workforce of more 1,300 regular full-time and part-time employees, plus seasonal employees. Key areas of responsibility include recruitment, selection and hiring, benefits, compensation and job classification, performance evaluations, policy development, collective bargaining, legal compliance and reporting, and diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) advocacy. The position manages seven HR professionals, and a budget of more than $800,000. The position serves as a liaison to the County Board’s Staff Committee.
The County is seeking an energetic, ethical and experienced leader with strong technical and interpersonal skills. The ideal candidate must have an inclusive managerial style, as well as clear, concise, and open communication skills.
The starting salary range is $114,000 – 120,000 /- DOQ, plus excellent benefits.
The successful candidate will:
- Be comfortable working in a fast-paced and collaborative environment;
- Have a record of problem solving, decisiveness and approachability;
- Have an enthusiasm for advancing the County’s DEI initiatives; and
- Possess a passion for public service, and preferably have government HR experience, or private sector HR experience with a transferable skillset to the public sector.
Candidates should also have:
- A Bachelor’s and a Master’s degree in human resources management, business or public administration or closely related field, or any equivalent combination of training and experience that brings the knowledge, abilities, skills and leadership to the delivery of contemporary personnel services;
- Certification through IPMA, SHRM, SPHR or PHR preferred; and
- At least five years of experience in the human resources field, with three years of supervisory experience.
How to Apply
Candidates should apply by February 9, 2022, with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Lee Szymborski, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #225, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 847-380-3240. The County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.