$53,560 – $107,099
Arlington County's Department of Environmental Services (DES) is seeking two experienced and motivated Human Resources Generalists with proven track records of providing Human Resources services and guidance to department employees. These positions serve as trusted advisors to employees and managers in employee relations, performance management, classification and compensation, employee and organizational development, and talent acquisition while working as part of an HR team within DES.
DES is an integrated department of 800 employees, who strive to make a real difference by providing outstanding service to the community. The department includes the Office of the Director and three operating divisions spanning activities/services focused on the County's physical and environmental infrastructure: transportation, streets, capital projects, facilities, water and wastewater, solid waste, and environmental policy. The range of occupations within DES includes trades, technical, engineering, planning, contracts/construction management, and customer service. To learn more about our services, please visit here.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Advising the department's employee relations processes, including advising managers and employees on progressive discipline, and coordinating with the central Employee Relations unit in HR, as appropriate;
- Collecting and analyzing data, and preparing reports;
- Preparing a wide range of employee documents;
- Guiding and training managers on County HR policies and practices;
- Making recommendations on appropriate levels of compensation for new hires and promotions;
- Facilitating performance management processes, including coaching, and developing key work expectations and indicators of success;
- Assisting managers by proactively filling vacancies through recruiting, sourcing, and interviewing and serving as a liaison between candidates and hiring managers;
- Collaborating with a team of HR professionals to develop solutions in a variety of HR-related areas such as training, change management and organizational development; and
- Serving as a department liaison to the central Human Resources Department.
We are seeking detail-oriented, analytical problem solvers who are willing to handle a multitude of HR-related functions to address department challenges and to influence, advocate and lead change. The selected candidates will need strong interpersonal and oral and written communication skills, in addition to having a customer focus and the ability to handle sensitive situations while maintaining confidentiality. Strong organizational planning, conflict management expertise, and a working knowledge of multiple areas of HR management are essential for success.
Minimum: Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Public, or Business Administration or related field plus professional-level experience in human resources management and administration to include experience in recruitment, employee relations, or other core HR-related areas of work (e.g., classification, compensation, EEO, policy development, and/or training and organizational development).
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis. A Master's degree in a closely related field may substitute for up to one year of general human resources experience.
Desirable: The preferred candidate will have experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Handling a variety of HR management issues;
- Developing solutions to complex employee relations issues;
- Training managers on a performance management system and/or facilitating employee or organizational development and training efforts for a department or organization; and/or
- Compiling metrics, conducting analysis, identifying trends, and preparing reports and presentations.
The preferred candidate will also have professional HR certification such as PHR, SPHR or SHRM CP/SCP.
Special Requirements: Please complete each section of the application. Please attach a resume and a letter of interest to your application. You may provide responses for the letter of interest in the supplemental questionnaire. Be sure to highlight how your training, education and experience has prepared you for this position. Your letter of interest is part of the selection process so do not enter "see resume" as a response.
Additional Information: The official title of this position is HR/OD Specialist. This position is part of a pay-for-performance broadband pay program and may be filled within the established broad band depending on qualifications and experience. Entry salary within the band is based on a review of qualifications and experience.
Arlington County offers a competitive salary and a great benefits package including a Defined Benefit (pension) plan. For more information on Arlington's family friendly benefits click here.
Effective July 1, 2019, the salary range for this position will be $54,641.60-$109,262.40.
How to Apply
For more details about our benefits, please click here. Interested qualified candidates are encouraged to apply online. For details about the position, or to apply, visit https://careers.arlingtonva.us/ and click on “Apply Now”.