$68,453 – $103,792
The City of Virginia Beach, Department of Human Services (DHS) is seeking an experienced senior-level Human Resources (HR) Manager to manage a team of 5-6 direct reports and 14 indirect reports. This position will provide personnel leadership for a department of approximately 1,100 full-time, 300 contracted, and 128 part-time staff positions within the Department. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to providing professional-level guidance to departmental leadership, supervisors, and staff members on complex personnel-related matters; overseeing the department’s personnel teams responsible for staffing and onboarding of new employees and contract workers, learning & development, performance management-employee relations, absence management, records management and compliance, and personnel transaction entries.
Specific duties are as follows:
- Oversight of selection and onboarding of full and part-time staff, interns, and volunteers.
- Oversight of learning and development for new employee departmental orientation, workforce diversity and inclusion, leadership development, and Internship programs.
- Review of performance evaluations, employee performance feedback, exit interviews, resignation letters, and member survey results to develop a departmental action plan.
- In collaboration with City HR and the City Attorney’s office, review and track employee relations matters and disciplinary actions to ensure all are administered equitably, consistently, and in compliance with City policies and codes, administrative directives, and the regulations of external organizations, such as Virginia Department of Social Services (VDSS) and Department of Behavioral Health and Disability Services (DBHDS).
- Partner with the Risk Management and Payroll departments to report and track workers compensation claims, special leave approvals (FML, Absence Management, Duty Status, Military Leave, Leave of Absence with/without Pay, etc.).
- Participate in integrative process improvement across the organization’s 60 individual programs.
- Actively participate in developing short and long-term strategic planning goals for the HSD Human Resources division.
- Collaborate with the City Auditor’s office on program or staff incidents requiring report, investigation, or response for occurrences related to fraud, waste, and abuse.
- Serve as the primary facilitator to manage departmental HR administrative policy and procedure development to ensure timely and required action in accordance with on-going local and state program issues.
- Perform other job duties requiring skills, knowledge, and physical requirements as demanded by those duties described or less. Individual assignments will be determined by the supervisor based on then current workloads and department needs.
How to Apply