$120,273 – $159,308
Please apply directly on our website: smud.org/careers
Come join a future looking, customer centric, data driven, innovative People Services & Strategies Team!
The Manager, Total Rewards will engage in significant relationships with their team, leaders, stakeholders, and vendors to ensure that all programs support the efforts to cultivate a diverse, talented, and engaged workforce prepared to effectively serve SMUD’s customer community. The manager will partner with People Services & Strategies teams and stakeholders to ensure that total rewards initiatives and programs are aligned with the strategic direction of the organization. Programmatic & key component areas will include key areas that contribute to an employee's Total Rewards package:
- Employee and retiree health care benefits. (medical, dental, vision)
- CalPERS Retirement program and deferred compensation
- Wellness (physical, mental, financial, & social)
- Further, the manager may be responsible for oversight or partnership on delivering on:
- Salary studies & Compensation programs
- Performance & recognition programs
- Job Description maintenance & Classification
This role will be responsible for demonstrating thought leadership on the development of total rewards methodologies and approaches, leading the implementation of new projects and initiatives by participating and supervising the service delivery of the team. The Manager of Total rewards reports to the Director of People Services & Strategies and leads the team that develops and implements tailored human resources processes to deliver strategic business objectives and outcomes. As a member of the People Services & Strategies leadership team, this position helps ensure delivery of the departments vision:
We deliver an exceptional experience that helps people belong & thrive.
This position is a non-Civil Service (at-will) position with a salary range of: $120,273 - $159,308.
NOTE: This is a reposted opportunity. Candidates who have already applied before will not need to reapply. This position is posted until a sufficient number of qualified applications are received and may close anytime after 10 business days (November 4, 2021). For immediate consideration, applicants are encouraged to apply early.
To provide technical direction, leadership, and staff supervision involved in the planning, development, implementation, administration, and ongoing evaluation of HR operations programs and services to include SMUD classification and compensation, employee benefits, associated policies & procedures and other reward programs, systems, and work processes necessary to ensure SMUD can attract, retain and motivate a highly talented, diverse and qualified workforce. This job class will collaborate with the Director of People Services & Strategies in the development and implementation of tailored, highly effective and efficient human resources processes that produce a skilled and engaged workforce that supports achievement of desired business operations and outcomes.
This position is a first-line unit supervisor working under limited supervision within a broad framework of policies and procedures. It assists the Director of People Services & Strategies in the development, implementation, evaluation and management of department goals, objectives, budgets, projects, policies and procedures. This job oversees, directs, and supervises programs, services and staff working in the classification & compensation, employee benefits areas.. It is accountable to hire, train, coach, guide mentor, and discipline staff; complete formal evaluations; and administer related merit and reward related transactions. This position may utilize staff supervisors and experienced lead employees to assist in directing, training, evaluating and developing staff and to ensure staff safety and the prevention of personal injury.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Plans, organizes, and directs HR operations staff in development and delivery of HR Operations services and programs. schedules and allocates resources to HR projects, teams, and functions; provides ongoing evaluation of programs and services implementing changes and modifications to increase process efficiency and effectiveness; Interprets and executes HR and SMUD policies and procedures ensuring their compliance to SMUD and governmental policies, procedures, and laws.
- Supervises and administers classification and compensation programs and services to ensure competitive pay that is appropriate to attract, retain, and motivate employees at all levels; maintains current and accurate descriptions for SMUD job classifications; supervises the development, implementation, maintenance and processing of employee and retiree benefits plans, strategies, and programs to include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, STD/LTD, and retirement plans; supervises the Position and Employee/Retiree Transaction and Records functions by developing and implementing position and employee transaction processing and record-keeping methods and techniques; (including merit increases, salary adjustments, benefits enrollment, etc.); oversees the audit of employee pay, benefits and position transactions.
- Develops and administers the HR Operations budget; justifies budget items as needed; authorizes and approves budget expenditures; monitors actual expenditures against plan; identifies and reconciles budget anomalies; monitors and revises schedules, expenditures and assignments as warranted; reviews quarterly and end-of-year budget results; develops budget recommendations for the upcoming fiscal year.
- Effectively communicates HR services, requirements and standards to SMUD employees, supervisors and managers; works to create an understanding climate of expectation and enforcement of HR policies, procedures and ethical practices, responds to staff and employee inquiries and promotes HR programs and services to SMUD employees and the public; serves as consultant to SMUD management, supervisors and staff regarding HR Operations services and programs.
- Oversee and support internal staff development, quality management, and performance effectiveness to ensure highest possible standards of quality, consistency, and value; supervises the performance evaluation system to include the development, maintenance, implementation and monitoring of policies and standards for performance planning, appraisal and salary allocation;
- Researches, analyzes and reviews legislation and trends related to HR operations programs and services; identifies the impact of new or proposed legislation on existing work processes and procedures; and coordinates implementation of resulting changes with appropriate staff.
- Oversees internal/external department projects; allocates staff and resources to project teams; develops project plans, schedules, costs, milestones, work products, and negotiates contracts; monitors work progress and completion against plan/contract; revising schedules, scope, expenditures and assignments as warranted; reviews work products; resolves conflicts, and maintains project records and files.
- Measures and monitors the performance and results of core HR Operations processes and drives process improvement on an ongoing basis; recommends process metrics for assessing unit effectiveness; works closely with the HR Manager to implement solutions that are aligned with and lead to achievement of SMUD’s vision and goals;
- Performs related duties as required.
BS degree from an accredited college or university majoring in Business or Public Administration, Human Resources Management, or related field or equivalent experience. 9 years of related experience needed without degree.
Five (5 ) years of progressively responsible supervisory and relevant work experience in compensation, classification, benefits, or HR systems, automated record-keeping systems and/or performance evaluation systems.
Principles and techniques of supervision and management; strategic business planning methods and techniques; classification, compensation, performance evaluation, employee benefits, payroll processing, deferred compensation, and HRIS programs; HR record keeping systems; HR data maintenance processing; budgeting methods and techniques; project management techniques; contract administration; negotiation techniques; SMUD Civil Service rules, policies; procedures; labor agreements and other special agreements; federal, state and local laws and regulations governing HR operations; safety policies, practices and procedures; standard operating procedures for modern office equipment including a computer and applicable software; English grammar, punctuation and vocabulary standards.
Manage and supervise staff; develop and implement policies, programs and procedures; conduct budget preparation and expenditure control; negotiate effectively; manage contracts; manage projects/schedules; interpret and apply Civil Service rules, standard SMUD policies and procedures, labor agreements and government rules and regulations; prepare comprehensive and complex reports; communicate effectively orally and in writing; develop and deliver presentations to diverse groups; utilize a personal computer and/or computer terminal, systems and software relevant to the job; communicate effectively orally and in writing internally/externally; establish and maintain effective working relationships internally/externally.
- Proven leadership experience in oversight of Total Rewards programs.
- Financial Acumen as it relates to Total Rewards offerings.
- Experience developing innovative, inclusive Total Rewards plans.
- Strategic & administration experience pertaining to employee benefits offerings with similarly situated organization.
- Certification as a Certified Compensation Professional (CCP), SPHR or equivalent.
How to Apply
Please apply directly on our website: smud.org/careers